Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Stale Bag of Chips

There are days when I feel life is nothing more than a bag of stale chips. It hasn't lost so much flavor that I want to throw it away, but a whole lot of it's saltiness is gone. That savory goodness is lost, never to be returned, just like my life.

Okay, so that was a hyperbole. My life isn't quite so hopeless, but sometimes I do feel it's lost its freshness. Everything seems old, overdone, boring. I want to open my eyes every morning to something new and exciting, but the same old same old greets me instead. Dissatisfaction and discontentment dominate my thoughts as I survey what I don't have and wish I did. If only I could have an exhilarating life, rather than a 5 yr old potato chip one.

Then I take a look at my melodramatic depression and realize my whole focus has been on myself- my wishes, what I want. Self-centered thinking is always the source of these episodes for me, because when I'm focused on myself, I'm not loving the Lord with all my heart, soul, and strength or loving others as myself. I'm too caught up with Marni to be concerned with anyone else, and thus not fulfilling my purpose.

But once I zoom out this self shot and direct my life toward glorifying God and serving others, that staleness I thought had consumed the whole bag, turns out to be just one chip.

No comments:

Post a Comment