Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I'm Lazy... I Admit It

"A little more sleep, a little more slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest..." Laziness creeps up on me just like that. It hands me a box of excuses when I need them the least, and conveniently refills it long before it runs empty. "Just sleep in 10 minutes longer," "You're too tired right now; take a nap and you'll be much better suited to the task," or "Tomorrow would be better to do this," are just a few samples. Two of my most frequent excuses at the moment happen to be "Just do it tomorrow," and "Why do it at all?" I don't want to give in to them, but I do, time after time. Through Christ, I know I can duck tape my box shut and burn it to ashes, however difficult it may be to remember at times.

I am a procrastinator extraordinaire; I could make myself rich if it were a profession. When I would rather be doing something more entertaining, I trick myself into believing that putting off my work would actually help me do better with it later. I'm not exactly sure how you can lie to yourself, and not get caught, but it is possible, as long as you hide your mischievous intentions from your conscience. Days of procrastinating mysteriously become weeks, leaving me to ponder what warlock stole my time. Yet I know that the only warlock here is my own laziness, and as much as I would love to blame something, anything else, it's my own fault, and I know it.

On top of making me a dreadful procrastinator, laziness also keeps me from starting certain tasks, like housework. Sweeping and dusting aren't so bad, but washing dishes and cleaning up the yard are the worst chores ever! To me, these are evil inventions specifically designed to torture my very soul (okay, that's somewhat of an exaggeration, but sometimes it truly feels that way). And this is my justification. I hate certain chores, therefore, I need not do them. Where in some situations, I might feel guilty for not completing a job, when it comes to picking up leaves, or scrubbing plates, I feel none whatsoever. Eventually, I feel an itch of remorse here and there, but generally, that laziness warlock gets the better of me.

It is so easy to get caught in this trap. Laziness is subtle, deceitful. I give in time after time, often excusing it or justifying it. But I am assured of Christ's work in my life, that is, His promise to rid me of my sin. His sacrifice allows me to be forgiven of my laziness, among other sins; and not only forgave, but freed. I am not forced to sin any longer, because He is now in my life to make me resemble His perfection. This process is God's tool to help me lean on Him daily. If I was perfect from here on out, I would not need His strength and power every moment of every day in order to battle sin. So I am grateful for my laziness, not the sin itself, but the glory which the battle and the victory grant to the One who fights and defeats it.











No comments:

Post a Comment